So you have found your dream dress and now it’s time to think about all the final finishes for your wedding day style. Great hair and makeup can make you feel a million dollars, the wrong choices can make you feel overdone and not yourself.
It is important to take the time to do your research and feel your most beautiful self on your wedding day. Here are some top tips we have picked up from experienced Hair and Makeup artists and of course our 30 years of working with beautiful brides and listening to their stories. I hope it helps…..
- Firstly and most importantly it is fun time, full of champagne, cute matching robes and of course lots of laughter. But do be prepared for an early start, especially if you have a large bridal party, even if your wedding isn’t till 3pm, hair and make up can start at 7am!
- Allow around 30-45 minutes for each bridesmaid and Mother of the bride and 60-90 minutes for the bride, generally the bride will be the last to be looked after so her hair and makeup is the freshest for the photos etc.
- Do your research, pick a company that you like their style and business vibe, you want to make sure they will offer a punctual and professional service as well as fabulous work.
- If your wedding is local your regular hairdresser may be able to help, but most of the time it is a specialist wedding stylist that you will book.
- Listen out for recommendations from friends, look at social media posts of real brides in the area your wedding is and stalk their suppliers.
- Meet with the team who will be working with you on the day, make sure you have a good connection with them, you spend a lot of time together and you have to trust they have understood what you want for the day. (We have never met a grumpy hair and makeup artist yet, I think it is in their DNA to be lovely)
- Gather photos of styles that you like and think of the theme of the wedding, do you want a dramatic Red lip with a Hollywood vintage feel or soft romantic blush and nude tones?
- Think about the style of your dress, you want to make sure your hair and makeup compliments your gown. Some necklines such as strapless look amazing with flowing down styles where as some high necks and sleeves can look too much if you have your hair down.
- Book a trial, sometimes you may need two if you are not keen on your first attempt, we hear this all the time and your hairdresser and makeup artist will want to know if you are unhappy.
- Remember you will always need a bit more makeup than you think as you can look washed out in your photos otherwise, but at the same time if you are someone who never wears a lot of makeup it might not be the day to try full contouring and dark smokey eyes!
- We often advise brides to have a hair and makeup trial the morning before one of their dress fittings, then you can have a sneak peak of what your final look will be. Also book a lovely night out with your partner and see how the style wears over a few hours, you will soon know if you need any changes.
Top tip – Go for waterproof makeup and mascara, it is an emotional day and you don’t want your makeup running down your face while you say your vows!
- Think about what suits your hair and skin tone, when you want to feel special on a night out do you always wear your hair up or down?
- Think about your hair and how it holds a style, some brides are lucky and can keep that soft wave in their locks all night, yet in other hair types it can fall out and quickly look a bit messy.
- Also think about the weather, especially in humid climates like we have here in Queensland. Will a ‘down hair do’ make you super hot and make your make up run? Does your hair frizz easily? How will you cope if it’s a windy day and your wedding ceremony is outside?
Finally, as with everything you choose for your wedding day, make sure it is your own personal style and vibe. You don’t want your partner wondering who that is walking down the aisle towards them, however fabulous you look!
It is the day to be your most beautiful self, feel full of confidence and have the time of your life…. xxx
We have been lucky enough to work alongside many fabulously talented Hair and Makeup stylists, here are a few we can personally recommend: